This is a Russian recipe that has been in the family for many years and has been a good change from the regular pancakes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg and 3 tablespoons of melted butter.
- In another bowl, mix together, all-purpose flour, buckwheat flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the egg-mixture.
- Stir until the two mixtures are just incorporated.
- Heat a griddle or large frying pan on medium-high heat.
- In a small saucepan, add 2 teaspoons of canola oil and 1 teaspoon butter and let melt. Use as required to rub the griddle or frying pan before frying each batch of pancakes.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of batter onto griddle or frying pan for each pancake to form 4 inch pancakes.
- Fry until bubbles form on the top of the pancakes, about 3 minutes.
- Flip them over and cook for another 3 minutes or until done.
- Continue to fry pancakes with the remainng batter.
- Serve with melted butter and syrup or your favorite jams.