Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
French Toast, Donna Kelly
Make and share this Waffle-Style French Toast recipe from Food.com.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices day old challah (1-inch thick slices) or 8 French bread (1-inch thick slices)
- Preheat waffle iron and spray with cooking spray.
- In a pie plate or other shallow pan, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, and salt together.
- Dip bread slices in egg mixture until well soaked.
- Cook slices in the waffle iron one at a time until lightly browne.
- Serve with warm syrup, powdered sugar, and/or fresh fruit as garnish.
What a brilliant idea!! I scaled the recipe down and used three slices of whole wheat bread, one egg white, 1/4 cup soy milk, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, 1 tablespoon Splenda, and a dash of salt. It could have used more of the egg mixture, but that's my own fault; the recipe itself was fantastic! I topped it with Quick & Easy Microwave Berry Sauce / Syrup. Thanks for posting!