1/1 Photo of Whole Grain Pancakes That Don't Taste Like It!
Ima Cookin''s Note:
This is an adaptation of a recipe I found here, Mims & Squims 100% Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes #218671. As I wrote in her review of the "tweaks" I made to suit my husband's and I eating style, I realized it was pretty much a recipe unto it's own, so I'm posting it here as well. I added approximately 4 TBS dried blueberries to one cup of the batter, but you can add any type of fresh, frozen or dried fruit of your choice. ***Beware of dried fruits with added sugars if you too are watching your sugar intake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (I used whole grain pancake flour I found at Whole Foods, or you can use whole wheat pastry flour)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup artificial sweetener (I used Splenda)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (heaping)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds, ground (I used golden) (optional)
- 1I used an electric skillet, but you can also preheat non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- 2Using whisk, combine all ingredients until just smooth.
- 3Pour approximately 1/4 c batter into skillet (form 5” circle).
- 4If using whole grain pancake flour, there won't be "bubbles" as in other pancakes, but when you see the edges set well, and lift from skillet (about 2-3 minutes), flip pancakes.
- 5Brown for another 1-2 minutes til done. May try a toothpick in the middle, as in a cake, because these whole grain pancakes will "brown" quicker and may not be done in the middle.
- 6**If using whole wheat pastry flour, your results will be more bubbles in the pancakes and browning will be less because of the flour and more from cooking time and temperature.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Grain Pancakes That Don't Taste Like It!
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.6
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 64.6 mg
- Sodium 216.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: