I got this recipe from Weight Watchers. It makes a 4 point breakfast. Leave an extra "stack" in the refrigerator for a quick, microwave meal.
- cooking spray (2 sprays)
- 4 frozen hash brown patties, potato patty prepared without fat
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 3 ounces Canadian bacon, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon scallion, minced (green part only)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 8 teaspoons spicy ketchup, hot and spicy variety (optional)
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Place hash brown patties in skillet; cook over medium heat on first side until golden brown, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- Flip patties; cook until golden brown on second side, about 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, coat a second large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-low heat.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, egg whites, bacon, scallion, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper; pour into prepared skillet and then increase heat to medium.
- Let eggs partially set and then scramble using a spatula.
- When eggs are set, but slightly glossy, remove from heat; cover to keep warm until hash browns are finished cooking.
- To assemble stacks, place 1 hash brown patty on each of 4 plates.
- Top each with 1/4 of egg mixture and serve with 2 teaspoons of ketchup.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Yields 1 stack per serving.
- Finely diced turkey bacon makes a nice alternative to the Canadian bacon in this recipe.
- Just make sure to cook the bacon before adding it to the eggs (could affect points values).
Delicious and easy breakfast....I could see eating this for lunch or dinner too. It is very filling! I baked the hash browns in the oven, and they turned out nice and crispy. I made as posted, but I think I'll serve the ketchup on the side next time (mixed hot sauce and ketchup to make the spicy ketchup). Also think I may just lay it all out instead of stacking to preserve the crispiness of my hashbrown. Same cooking time and ingredients....just wouldn't look as nice. :)
These were very good, a filling and flavorful breakfast. I'm not watching points, so I just went ahead and used 4 whole eggs for this. I also baked the hash brown patties in the oven instead of in a skillet. I served the ketchup on the side, because DH likes ketchup on his eggs, me not so much.
Yum! This was quick, simple, and tasted great. I didn't have the spicy ketchup, so used a hot salsa. Thanks Lainey for a great light dinner. Made for Gimme 5 tag.